The Massachusetts Biotechnology Education Foundation (MassBioEd), a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, is in its third decade of growing and developing talent in the Massachusetts life sciences workforce which in turn, develops innovations that save and improve lives. Please visit www.massbioed.org/about-careers to review all open positions.
Founded in 2001 by the Massachusetts Biotechnology Council, MassBioEd has evolved into a key link connecting students, educators, and professionals to the exciting opportunities within the life sciences industry. Our mission is to build a sustainable life sciences workforce in the region through educational and training programs that engage and excite teachers, inspire and propel students, and illuminate the pathway from the classroom to career with a focus on expansion, opportunity and diversity.
This full-time position reports to the Vice President of Biotechnology Education Programs and works closely with classroom middle and high school teachers in the greater Boston area. The BioTeach Instructor will travel to partner schools to support implementation of biotechnology labs and lessons and life sciences career awareness curricula. They will also work with the education team to deliver professional development and develop new programs for teachers and students.
Support the development and implementation of MassBioEd’s education programs including:
Partner Onboarding and Support
- Onboard underserved schools and districts involved in our life and career education program.
- Travel to middle and high schools in greater Boston Area to provide in person support to middle and high school classes engaged in labs and career awareness programs as part of our life and career education programs.
- Plan and implement on-going and new professional development programing to meet the needs of middle and high school science teachers and further the MassBioEd mission.
- Schedule and organize on-site or remote technical training visits to the Massachusetts middle and high schools partnering with MassBioEd. Serve as district or school liaison and teacher mentor or coach to increase the quality and quantity of hands-on lab activities and innovative career awareness programing, which may require travel to schools throughout the state.
- In conjunction with the Manager of Career Exploration Programs, prepare and support industry volunteers to deliver career programming to school partners.
General BioTeach Support
- Vice President of Biotechnology Education Programs to manage the logistics and tracking of all teacher professional development, school and student events.
- Support the authoring and delivery of email and newsletter communication to stakeholders.
- Engage in MassBioEd signature events including the Workforce Development Conference and the Champions fundraiser.
- Participate in and support regional events relating to life sciences education to strengthen education community partnerships that increase the efficiency and impact of the BioTeach program.
- Work with MassBioEd team to monitor, assess and evaluate program impact using student and teacher feedback, focus groups and other appropriate measures.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in life sciences or education a minimum.
- 2 years or more teaching secondary science in traditional, blended and remote classrooms
- Familiarity with the research and careers in the Biotechnology industry
- Experience recruiting and serving school partners at the district level
- Strong written and verbal communication, interpersonal, and customer-service skills
- Experience in program tracking and evaluation
- Ability to work accurately, with interruptions, to meet deadlines: must be able to accommodate changes in assignments and priorities depending upon identified needs of the team
- Experience taking initiative to solve problems independently and creatively in a fast-paced environment
- Computer literacy including: strong word processing, excel, PowerPoint, database and web management skills sufficient to prepare correspondence, reports, forms, presentation, statistical/technical/scientific materials, etc. with speed and accuracy, including the willingness to learn and use new computer programs/applications
- Strong administrative, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with a friendly and professional demeanor and excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with a diverse team of professionals, and our corporate and community partners
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes health, dental, and vision insurance, 401K, long and short-term disability, life insurance, healthcare savings account, and paid time off.
Interested applicants should submit the following to email@example.com:
- Detailed cover letter outlining how your qualifications meet those sought in this post
Opportunity and Diversity
We strive for diversity and equity in all the work we do. We are committed to building a team with a variety of backgrounds, skills and views to best serve our communities.
MassBioEd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression or Veteran status.
MassBioEd 255 Main Street, 8th Floor
Cambridge, MA 02142