Biotech Professional Development Course Developer and Instructor
The Massachusetts Biotechnology Education Foundation (MassBioEd), a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, is in its third decade of growing and developing talent in the Massachusetts life sciences workforce which in turn, develops innovations that save and improve lives. Please visit www.massbioed.org/about-careers to review all open positions.
Founded in 2001 by the Massachusetts Biotechnology Council, MassBioEd has evolved into a key link connecting students, educators, and professionals to the exciting opportunities within the life sciences industry. Our mission is to build a sustainable life sciences workforce in the region through educational and training programs that engage and excite teachers, inspire and propel students, and illuminate the pathway from the classroom to career with a focus on expansion, opportunity and diversity.
The Course Instructor serves as an independent contractor to instruct professional development courses, lead the development of new course content, and coordinate the course for employees in the life science industry and industries that work closely with biotech companies. This role could include supervision of potential guest instructors or speakers. Experience going from concept design to course delivery required.
Commitment and Format
- Courses are offered an estimated 3-5 times per year with potential additional offerings on a one-time basis.
- MassBioEd provides all marketing, technology, and logistical support for the courses.
- Virtual Format: Three (3) 2.5-hour sessions with 10-minute break during each session (7 hours) and can vary depending on course design.
- In-Person Format: One (1) business day with 30-minute break for lunch and two (2) 15-minute breaks (7 hours) and can vary based on course design.
- Develop new course materials to feature important new advances relevant to the industry.
- Include interactive activities relevant to the biotechnology industry as the topic SME.
- Able to lead the course once MassBioEd and Course Instructor signed the agreement on dates of offering.
- Collaborate with MassBioEd to communicate with registrants regarding changes in schedule or content.
- Identify and select guest instructors or speakers with appropriate expertise when needed and recommend their hiring by MassBioEd. Supervise and evaluate their first class.
- Review and update course materials, syllabus, and agenda before each session as needed.
- Provide MassBioEd course manager with all up-to-date materials at least 14 days before the start of class to distribute to students.
- Oversee content and continuity of classes.
- If needed, attend meetings at MassBioEd, as required to address current issues, not to exceed two hours per session.
- Provide students with appropriate feedback on in-class assignments and presentations.
- Help promote and market the course. Encourage enrollment in the course consistent with MassBioEd’s interest in offering and promoting the course.
- Participate in course evaluations and continuous improvement activities.
- Advanced degree required in Biology or similar technical field.
- At least 7 years’ experience in a biotechnology or biopharmaceutical company
- Ability to design, develop, and deploy course content.
- Comfortable in a high change and variable learning environment.
- Accommodates diversity in the learning environment.
- 2-3 years of classroom teaching experience preferred.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive wage commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Opportunity and Diversity
We strive for diversity and equity in all the work we do. We are committed to building a team with a variety of backgrounds, skills and views to best serve our communities.
MassBioEd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression or Veteran status.
MassBioEd 255 Main Street, 8th Floor
Cambridge, MA 02142